1) I was born in Pretoria, South Africa, in October. It’s spring over there at that time of year, and my Mum associates the blossoming Jacaranda trees with my arrival. I do really like the deep lilac colour of the blossoms to this day.
2) I went to Convent school until I was eleven and was mostly taught by nuns. Most of them were really, really lovely but there was a lot of superstition about, which made me wary of organised religion for life.
3) My parents divorced when I was about 18 months old and my Mum and I moved to Durban with all our belongings in the back of a green Volkswagen beetle. I called the colour of our car ‘yukky green’ (it really was!).
4) I had a total obsession as a teenager with: Duran Duran, Garfield, Pink Floyd, The Cure and dancing. Yes, that does tell you I’m in my 40s now 🙂
5) I didn’t actually take Art as one of my options when we had to choose for our final school years. When I had to move to the UK in my last year of school and take A levels, something made me choose Art. I’m really glad that happened!
6) I moved to the UK in 1990 and missed all the historic good stuff which was happening in South Africa at the time. My family move had nothing to do with the changes and we were all sad to miss the transformation of our country after so long.
7) I have pretty much only ever had relationships with musicians.
8) I have never been on ‘a date’ – all of my partners have started out as friends and then one day I’ve gone ‘oh, hello!’.
9) My last three partners have all played the Djembe. So do I, by the way.
10) I got married on a game farm in 2000. A rhino held up the officiant so we had to start late.
11) After 5 years of marriage and 10 years in total, my spouse and I parted company on friendly terms (painful, but friendly) and I am now chums with his new wife. They are expecting their third baby this year!
12) I live, create and work with depression, specifically seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which makes me feel tired as hell for most of the winter. I overcome this by just accepting it for the most part, and going easy on myself when I can. It’s not a simple thing as my businesses both get busier in winter than summer!
13) I have lived in 30 different homes. I blame my pioneer/nomadic genes for this!
14) All of my siblings are actually half siblings, but they don’t feel that way to me.
15) I went vegetarian after watching Schindler’s List in 1993 and never really understood the connection as it was a deeply subconscious reaction. I’ve never dared watch the film again for fear of what it may trigger next!
16) Although very creative, I love working with figures (particularly statistics!), have an aptitude for computers and am fascinated by science in a big way. In short, a geek.
17) A hippy at heart, I don’t however believe in astrology*, or indeed in supernatural things generally. I dislike crystals, also. I do like tie-dye a lot though. And trees.
19) Before I had a parrot named Missy, my companion animal was a dog named Arty. He lived to the ripe old age of seventeen and a half.
20) I feel massively uncomfortable about making this list, but am doing it anyway!
* We Librans are sceptical, I’m told 😉